Thursday, November 27, 2008

Pesto Hummus

I bought some of this at Trader Joe's 2 weeks ago. They've stumbled onto something that is pure genius. Since its a bit of a drive to get there, I made a copycat.

1 can (12 oz) cannellini beans
2T water
1 jar pesto
Olive Oil

Rinse and drain beans.

Puree beans using either a food processor or emersion blender (my choice). Add a couple Tablespoons of water to improve texture. Blend in jar of pesto. Drizzle with olive oil.

Serve with bread chunks, crackers, or veggies.
(Jack loves this and eats it plain with his fingers. We've gone through 2 jars since we discovered it 2 weeks ago.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Yum, I love hummus!

Robyn said...

Oh my gosh, my mouth is salivating. Combining two of my favorite things!!! Please tell me what KIND of pesto do you use? I have bought the one at Costco but it's not great. What jar/brand is it? Thanks for sharing!

Robyn said...

Sorry, I forgot to ask how many ounces is the jar you use?

Sheree said...

I made some pesto this summer when I had garden basil. 6 oz jars. But I was low on parmesian when I made it, so I added extra. (No garlic in this batch since I overdid the garlic one year.)My pesto is just basil, pinenuts or walnuts, parmesian cheese, olive oil. There's no real recipe, but its near equal parts of the 3 solids plus oil 'til it seems right.
The Trader Joe's stuff had the flavor of the grocery store pesto, I can't think of the brand. But you know how it seems extra salty or something? Like that, and the ingredients list had the same sorts of extras like whey.

Sheree said...

By the way, do not try dipping celery in this pesto. Stick with chunks of bread or cracker. Lessons learned.