Sunday, January 20, 2008

Vegetable Lasagna

4 cups thinly sliced zucchini (about 4 medium)
4 cups thinly sliced yellow squash(4 medium)
2 cups thinly sliced carrots
2 cups thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
1 large onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 15oz can tomato sauce
1 60z can of tomato paste
1/2 cup fresh basil
3 cloves of garlic
1 tsp salt
1/s tsp pepper
1 80z cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups of cottage cheese
2 large eggs, beaten
10 oven ready lasagna noodles
3 8 oz packages of thinly sliced provolone cheese
4 cups mozzarella cheese

Cook veggies, simmer 10 minutes add tomatoes, sauce, paste, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine cream cheese, cottage cheese, and eggs. Preheat oven to 350 F.

Spread 1 cup of sauce, place 3 uncooked noodles, spread 1/4 cheese mixture(cream cheese, cottage cheese, and eggs) and then follow with some more sauce. Top with six slices of provolone cheese and then 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese. Repeat Bake 35 to 45 minutes and let stand 10 minutes before cutting

****This makes 2 13x9 lasagnas. So you can freeze one or just half the recipe. This is so worth the extra effort, even the leftovers were delicious(I think it's the homemade sauce). I think next time I will add spinach and substitute the cottage cheese for ricotta cheese just for something different. I also steamed my veggies so I didn't cook all the nutrients out of them. I steamed the carrots for about 10 minutes and the rest for about 7 minutes. It left the veggies with a little more crunch, which Jens and I loved. We served it with a garden salad and garlic bread with Jamie's recipe on homemade garlic spread.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Yum! Sounds good. Everytime I hear the term "vegetable lasagna", I always think of Seinfeld.