
1 1/3 c. warm water
2 T warm milk
1/3 c. brown sugar
2 T. melter butter
Combine, then add the yeast with the first cup of flour.
(I love using the SAF fast yeast. You don't have to wait for it to work.)
1 T. yeast
4 c. flour
Add the flour and knead. Roll into a large rope and cut into 12 pieces. This makes a dozen large rolls or more smaller ones.
(If you are using the basic envelopes or Flieshmans's (sp?) yeast you may want to let the dough rest or raise. With my 'fast'-acting yeast I
immediately form the rolls.)
Roll the pieces into balls and place on cookie sheets. Six rolls per sheet. I like to line the sheet with parchment paper. Then slice a cross into the tops. You need a sharp knife and a swift wrist.
Now let them raise 20-30 minutes. Cover them with a damp cotton towel or lightly oiled plastic wrap or just let them sit. Preheat oven to 375. One of my recipes says 425 another says 350. Whatever works. Then get a large pot of water boiling. When it is at a hard boil add a handful (between 1/4 and 1/2 c.) of baking soda and 2ish Tablespoons of sugar. Gather the kids around to watch that step. The water boils up and bubbles. Get a slotted spoon ready and drop 2 or three in at a time for about 15 seconds then roll for another 15 seconds (or so). If you remember to spray the cookie sheet with oil while they are in the water it helps. If not, oh well. Soak
up any water swimming between the rolls with a paper towel. Then brush the tops with egg white and sprinkle with kosher salt--the only new ingredient I had to buy for this recipe. It is worth it. I also like poppy seeds so I keep a little mix of them with my spices. Put both sheets in the oven at the same time in the upper and middle racks for 8-10 minutes then switch places until they are golden. Cool and eat.
They are best warm and not so great the next day. Smoked ham and swiss is my favorite sandwich with a good mustard.
(I got this recipe from my friend, Josi, and just copied and pasted it from her email. These rolls taste just like the pretzel sandwiches from Isaac's. Soooooo delicious and worth the work!

No comments:
Post a Comment