Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Market Street Clam Chowder


1 c. diced potatoes
1 c. diced celery
1 c. diced onions
1 c. diced green onions
1 c. diced leeks
3/4 c. chopped clams
3/4 T. ground pepper
1 1/2 T. salt
3/4 T. thyme
6 bay leaves
1 t. Tobasco sauce
3/4 c. sherry
2 c. water
3/4 c. clam juice
3/4 c. melted butter
1 c. flour
2 quarts half & half

Combine melted butter and flour in oven-proof container and bake at 325 for 30 minutes.
In large saucepan, combine remaining ingredients except half & half. Simmer until potatoes are thoroughly cooked. Stir butter-flour mixture into chowder and stir until thick. (Mixture will be slightly less thick than cookie dough.)
Remove chowder from heat. Stir in half & half until blended. Heat to serving temperature, stirring occasionally. Serve immedietely.
Serves 12.
Freezes well.

(I got this recipe from my friend Sheree who got it from the Market Street restaurant in Salt Lake. It is a NO FAIL, absolutely delicious, best-ever clam chowder recipe!
Sorry about the picture. We usually serve in bread bowls, but I only had french bread today.)

1 comment:

Sheree said...

My family actually came about this recipe from the Gabby Gourmet on TV, but he got it from Market Street. Jamie's right, best ever clam chowder, although I'm also favoring Rhode Island lately (its broth based, no cream). Anyway, I have a tip to add. I always have trouble with lumps when I use that oven baked butter/flour. So now, I just make a rou in a pan, then mix it in. I also make it with extra potatoes since I like it chunky. And if you want to reduce the fat, use a combination of half&half and milk.