Thursday, August 2, 2007

Chicken Pot Pie


Chicken Filling:

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. flour
1 T. onion flakes
1 T. chicken soup base
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3/4 c. water
2/3 c. milk
2 c. chicken, cooked and cubed
10 oz. frozen mixed peas or carrots (or any mixed vegetables)

Heat butter over low heat until melted; stir in flour, onion flakes, soup base, salt, and pepper until smooth. Add water and milk, stirring constantly. Heat to boiling and boil 1 minute. While stirring, add chicken and vegetables. Set aside and prepare pastry.

Celery Pastry:

2/3 c. shortening
2 c. flour
2 tsp. celery salt
4 T. ice cold water

Make as a pie in a 8x8 inch pan. Bake at 425 F. for 30 to 35 minutes or until brown.
***Addition***
I just made this for dinner again, but was really short on time, so I just mixed up some Bisquik (heart healthy kind) and spread it on the top. I baked it at 425 F for 20 minutes. So yummy and so quick!!!!

No comments: